Summer vacation can be a time of relaxation and fun, but it can also be a time of increased stress on your body due to sleeping on uncomfortable beds, heavy lifting of luggage, extensive amount sitting in cars, airports or on planes for long periods of time. Summer vacations can also include fun adventures that are often physically demanding on the body when out of your normal activity level (i.e hiking, jumping in the ocean waves, white water rafting, Zip lining etc). This type of physical activity can lead to strain on the joints, muscles, and ligaments in your back. This may result in serious travel back injuries. To help prevent this from happening, it is important to stay mindful of your body and make sure that you take the necessary steps to keep it healthy throughout your vacation.
Chiropractic care can be a beneficial way to address any issues associated with physical activity during summer vacation. A chiropractor can identify and treat any misalignments or muscle tightness that could be contributing to your travel back injuries, and help you to enjoy the remainder of your trip. Having a practice in a city that gets lots of tourists, I see many patients while they are on vacation for all of the reasons listed above. Chiropractors do not mind helping you achieve wellness while you are visiting our area. So don’t be afraid to call the local chiropractor if you happen to injure yourself while on vacation.
Routine adjustments before your trip can help keep the spine in proper alignment, and the muscles relaxed so you can have a successful vacation without aches and pains. I strongly encourage my patients to come and get their spines checked before their vacations, especially if they know they are going to be doing activities that are out of the norm for them.
By taking precautions before and during summer vacation, you can enjoy a safe, healthy, and relaxing time away. Doing so will ensure that your summer vacation is as stress-free and enjoyable as possible! With the proper precautions, vacation can be an enjoyable and memorable experience.
In addition to getting your spine checked before you go, I recommend these travel tips:
· Drink plenty of water (half your body weight in ounces is recommended)
· Avoid activities that cause you pain (for example: if you have a bad shoulder, you may not want to try rock climbing for the first time)
· Watch your alcohol consumption (leads to dehydration and bad decisions)
· Be mindful of how long you sit in the sun, wear SPF protective clothes and hats, try to sit in the shade for some of the time if outside for extended time.
· Utilize proper lifting techniques, bend and lift with your knees.
· Ask for help if lifting heavy or oversized luggage, utilize stewards, luggage carts, and elevators when available.
· When seated for extended time, it is best to get up every hour to move the body and stretch. Not only will this decrease the possibility of back pain but this will also reduce the risk of blood clot formation in the legs. If driving in a car I recommend you stop every couple of hours and stretch and walk for 10 minutes. Bathroom breaks and fuel stops are good for this.
With these tips in mind, you can ensure that your summer vacation is everything you expect. If you do experience any pain or discomfort that could be related to travel back injuries, make sure to seek out the help of a chiropractor as soon as possible. With their expertise and care, you can rest assured knowing that your body is in good hands. Consulting with your chiropractor can ensure that you have the information and resources necessary to prevent travel back injuries and maintain good physical health during your vacation. Taking proactive measures can help you avoid any pain or discomfort later on.
By taking care of yourself, you can make sure that your summer vacation is stress-free and enjoyable!
Dr. Shelley Anderson